The Simpson College fire pit was funded and supported by the Simpson College Alumni Association and the Simpson College Student Government Association. All groups requesting to use the fire pit must adhere to the following policies and expectations.
Simpson College Outdoor Fire Pit Rules and Guidelines
Guidelines & Rules
• All uses of the fire pit on campus must follow this written procedure.
• Fire pit is for the exclusive use of Simpson College and guests of the college.
*****Summer conferences and other guests of the college are still required to fill out request for use of fire pit.
*****Summer conferences and guests of Simpson College will be expected to adhere to all rules and guidelines as outlined in this document.
• Requests for use of the firepit MUST be submitted no later than 72 hours prior to your event.
• The Simpson College fire pit is a gas fired, fire pit and can only be ignited with a key. The key can be picked up in the Kent Campus Center on the day of your event at a time that will be communicated to the responsible party for group using the fire pit. The fire pit key must be returned the the Kent Campus Center by the person who checked it out immediately following the event.
• Use of alcohol is strictly prohibited for any group using the fire pit. Only in very limited cases, with appropriate approval will alcohol be allowed at an event at the fire pit.
• The following may not be used in the firepit: trash, garbage, leaves, yard waste, refuse, flammable or combustible liquids, any wood, any material made of or coated with rubber, plastic, leather or petroleum based materials
• All open fires must be CONSTANTLY attended until the fire is extinguished by a responsible representative of the group making the request.
*****Children must be supervised by adults at all times.
*****Fires must not be left unattended.
*****Fire extinguisher must be present at all uses of the fire pit. Fire extinguisher will be provided for group using fire pit and should be picked up with key to ignite the fire. Key and extinguisher must be returned following event.
• Extinguishing materials must be at the scene of the fire. The attendant(s) must know how to use the extinguishing materials to put the fire out. Fire extinguishers may not be removed from buildings!
• Be prepared that your event may need to be cancelled at the last minute due to high winds, dry vegetation, high fire danger conditions or inclement weather.
• The fire must be completely extinguished before the site can be left unattended
• The site must be cleaned up immediately following the event.
• Fire pit hours are limited to 7:00am-11pm, seven days per week.